February 16, 2009

Wedding vs Day of Love

As Valentine's Day has come and gone I thought it only appropriate to share my thoughts on this National Holiday. There have been times in my life when Valentine's Day has been fun and boring. I think the boring times were when I was in high school and single in college. I did purchase the gift for my high school sweetheart and we did have a nice dinner, (I purchased this as well) but as the night ended and I dropped her off at home it seemed a bit melodramatic. Don't get me wrong I did get a present out of the deal. But I felt forced to show "extra" love because of history of Saint Valentine.

In college I spent 3 of 4 Valentine's Day at my place, watching movies, and enjoying the company of myself. The one Valentine's Day I decided to get a date was my freshman year when I really wanted to make a good impression on a girl who caught my fancy. I got her number from a friend of mine and it was to my surprise when I called, she answered and without much hesitation said yes to my invitation. I did my homework, found out her favorite flower and favorite restaurant. We had the date which I thought went very well, I paid for everything and was quite the gentleman if I do say so myself. However, after Valentine's Day there was no return phone call from her despite numerous attempts for a second date. It was for this reason I spent the next 3 Valentine's Day all by myself. Thanks for letting me get that story off my chest.

So with this in mind, is it ok for weddings to take place on this date? If so, is it then fair for others to be upset if they must miss out on the opportunity for a special date with their love one for attendance at a wedding. This controversy is why I decided it necessary to blog and share my opinion. I think there would be no reason why people should avoid scheduling Valentine's Day as a wedding day. This year I found it rather enjoyable to spend Valentine's Day with my wife and then share the day with our friends while they "tied the knot." It was fun and added some variety into a National Holiday that may in any other year turn into the same "dinner and a movie date day." How many times do your friends get married (well marriages end in divorce 50% of the time)? I would find it rather selfish to be mad at your friends for deciding to get married on Valentine's Day and ruining your chances for a date night. I mean come on, how many other times of the year can you go out on a date night? Just because this one day is nationally known, doesn't mean hostility would have to accompany you to the wedding. I can only think of one thing, selfishness. And on the day of love you should be happy being with your significant other where ever that maybe, even a wedding.

I will say, after Heather and I started dating I have enjoyed Valentine's Day ever since. I believe when you find that person you want to spend the rest of your life with, Valentine's Day will be something you look forward to every year.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting blog - I myself find Valentine's Day WAAAY overrated. Why do you need a special day to show the one that you love how much they mean to you? And besides, you just spend half the day waiting to get your table at an overpriced restaurant anyways! :)

    ReplyDelete