February 20, 2009

How I Met My Beautiful Wife

I have told this story to some people but as most of you know I love telling stories. So for the enjoyment of everyone else, this is how I first met my wife.

I met my wife working at a shelter for troubled boys in Anoka, Minnesota. The very first time we ever talked on the phone she called me to relieve her at 6 the next morning. First of all, I had no idea who this person was. Second, when I took the shift I was visiting my folks in Duluth, and third she called at 9 in the evening. So I thought for a second, had nothing else to do and accepted the work. I quickly went to bed because I had to leave Duluth at 3:30 the next morning to make it to work on time. When I arrived at work, there she was eagerly waiting my arrival. She thanked me a million times for relieving her and then left. This brief interaction was only beginning.

A few days later our second encounter happened. The company had an outdoor basketball court. I was with my boys shooting hoops when who happened to stop over with her boys? Yep that’s right, Heather. I will admit some flirting took place while on the job, but at no time did I ever lose my focus of my job responsibilities. I built up some courage asked Heather if she would like to come out with me and some friends after work. Heather thought for about 1.2 seconds and accepted my invitation. After work I picked her up and we went out. Maybe it was coincidence or fate but our friends never showed up. We sat and talked for a couple hours and then I invited her back to my place and we watched our first movie together. It was a great first date.

I then tried to play it cool and give it the 2 day rule. For those of you who don’t know, after a first date the unwritten rule is a guy gives it 2 full days before calling again. From what I learned later, during those 2 days Heather was very anxious and never thought I would call back. But after 2 days I called back and several other dates ensued. Sparks turned into flames and we quickly spent all of our free time together and some work time as well. We hit our rough spots as any normal relationships do but we worked through it together. We dated for about 2 years off and on until we got engaged and married.

1 comment:

  1. Good story Edwin! Keep up the blogg'n, it's fun to see you guys again.

    ReplyDelete