February 21, 2009

QB Controversy

As an avid Minnesota Vikings fan I thought it only appropriate to share my thoughts about why Brad Childress will lose his job because of his loyalty to Tarvaris Jackson.
Going into his fourth year as head coach, Brad Childress, has put all his hope on two mediocre quarterbacks to lead his team to a winning record and a playoff birth. Mr. Childress has recently stated he wants Gus Frerotte and Tarvaris Jackson to compete for the starting position next season. Right now anyway it is apparent the Vikings organization will not pursue the signing of a free agent quarterback. It is my opinion, if the Vikings do not find or produce a NFL worthy quarterback to lead the team next season, it will be the end to the Brad Childress era in Minnesota.
I do not boast to be a great NFL recruiting mind, as Paul Allen voice of the Minnesota Vikings would say, but I still wonder to this day how Brad Childress convinced other front office personal to trade up in the draft to take Tavarias Jackson. I know NFL talent does not always come from top division 1 schools but I don’t think it was the right time to draft a quarterback from Alabama State. But with a coach like Brad who boasted on his ability to create NFL quarterbacks, I was hoping for the best.
In the past 3 years Brad has attempted to bend and mold Tarvaris into the quarterback of the future. Vikings fans are still waiting to see praiseworthy quarterback. Throughout training camp last season, Brad supported Tarvaris and named him the starter. Starting the 2008 season 0-2, Gus Ferotte was quickly announced the replacement for the remainder of the season. I do think the benching of Tarvaris was a bit early but I would speculate, Brad was feeling some pressure from the front office to win and win now. I mean the front office did just spend millions of dollars to bring in highly sought after free agents Jared Allen and Bernard Berrian. So, as the season progressed Gus led the Vikings to a playoff worthy record but went down to injury. Tavarius came back in to finish off the season with a Division Championship. But throughout this run I still felt uncomfortable about the possibility of either quarterback coming up with a big fourth quarter drive to win a game. I never had the feeling that our quarterbacks would be good enough to make the clutch throw, get the key first down, or complete the long pass necessary to go far in the playoffs. And my feelings were cemented by the first round home playoff loss to the Eagles.
As I have sat back and watched the Vikings improve over the last 3 seasons, I still wait for the day when I can have a feeling of hope in the fourth quarter. I have no idea what they will do next season, but I am going on the record and predicting, “If the Minnesota Vikings do not make the playoffs, or if the Minnesota Vikings do not win 1 playoff game, Brad Childress will be replaced at the end of the 2009 season.”

No comments:

Post a Comment