February 13, 2009

My Obsession for Duke Basketball


It was the 1990-91 basketball season when I was first introduced to Duke University during March Madness. Christian Laettner and Bobby Hurley were the leaders of this Blue Devil squad that included other great names such as Antonio Lang, Grant Hill and Thomas Hill. I was 10 years old at the time and watching this squad win a national championship with a 32-7 record will be forever grained in my brain. I have been a loyal follower of Men’s Basketball at Duke University ever since.
I thought it only be appropriate to share about some of the highlights from my life about Duke University. First, “The Shot” by Christian Laettner with time expiring to beat Kentucky in 1992 in the East Regional to advance to the Final Four is by far my number one highlight. I would argue this is the greatest college basketball highlight of all time. (This highlight is on You Tube.)
My second favorite Duke moment is when I visited Duke University. It was summer time so the campus was empty. As I walked around campus I could feel the history and aura of the greats who had walked the campus streets before me. As we approached Cameron Indoor Stadium I was getting goose bumps. As we entered the stadium I saw the 2 National Championship Trophies and pictures of past and present players. To my amazement we could enter onto the playing floor. As I entered and looked to the rafters and saw the retired jerseys, ACC Championship banners, and the National Championship banners I was in awe. I walked to half court and touch the logo. I then ran down and touched the rim. I took about 30 pictures to remember every single moment.
My final favorite Duke basketball moment was in 2001 when they came to Minneapolis and won their third National Championship in 10 years. Watching Shane Battier, Jason Williams, Nate James, Chris Duhon, Carlos Boozer, and Mike Dunleavy defeat Arizona in my home state was spectacular.
I know some day I will make it to Cameron Indoor Stadium to watch them play in person. I wait patiently for that opportunity and I know my opportunity will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment