April 4, 2009

My Thoughts on the Fast and Furious


Paul Walker and Vin Diesel made their return to the big screen together to try and revive the Fast and the Furious trilogy. They were absent from the second movie the very sub par Tokyo Drift. Walking into the theater I was expecting lots of action, fancy cars and good fight scenes. Well the movie met my expectations and I was quite pleased with the movie.

First, I don't like Paul Walker. I don't know what it is about Paul but I just can't stand him. I think he tries to overact and that really bugs me. I am not impressed with his ability to play any kind of character in any movie he has been in, and I am just guessing but I don't think we will ever see him nominated for an Oscar.

Second, Vin Diesel does a good job playing a hard ass who won't take any crap from anyone. His bald head and cut body (kind of like yours truly) helps him fit into that role quite nicely. Of the two main actors in this movie I definitely think Vin is much better than Paul.

Now let's get down to the plot. I found it interesting they kept Paul's character a FBI agent and obviously Vin was a fugitive on the run. The writers did a good job to mold the two characters to meet again after a 5 year absence. I'm not giving anything away, but I did not understand why Vin would leave his woman who had been on the run with him for the last 5 years to now all of the sudden "protect" her. But I will say if he hadn't of left her there would be no need for the movie to continue. Their breakup was the premise of the movie. Paul did his usual police stuff and broke every procedure with every move he took which I didn't buy either. I would think the FBI must follow some sort of procedure, and maybe not, but for Paul's character to pull the stuff he pulled I didn't buy either. I mean he's a member of the FBI at least make his undercover operation a bit more believable. But I did enjoy the story.

Now the cars! In this movie you want to have fast, nice looking cars and the movie had that and then some. Great action scenes that were quite intense and impressive. The scenes were original and well thought out. I loved Vin still had the souped up muscle car and Paul was driving the import. The cars definitely fit their characters. It was indeed an enjoyable action packed movie.

I would say seeing this movie in the theater is worth the money. Leaving the theater I wish I had millions of dollars I could just waste on cars. And with the way the movie ended I look forward to the next Fast and Furious that is bound to come out soon.

1 comment:

  1. no matter how many times they remake Fast and Furious, Vin Diesel's best work will always be Chronicles of Riddick

    ReplyDelete