March 23, 2009

March Madness

It is that time of year again when the nation sits down with their bracket in front of the TV to watch the most exciting time during the sports year. 65 of the best teams in the country compete for title of best in the nation. Here is why I believe March Madness is the best time of the year.

First, filling out a bracket is one of the best parts of the tournament. Filling out a bracket requires no skill or knowledge but perhaps just a good ability to guess. There are people who spend many hours studying the teams to help them get an edge on who will move on and who will go home. Still, others (mostly women) pick a team with a good name, cool mascot, or flip a coin. Most times for the women it is a very effective way to win the office pool.

Second, the level in which these college athletes compete is incomparable to any other sporting event. Don't get me wrong I know other college athletes work just as hard, but when it comes to a team tournament, I can't think of another tournament comparable. These college athletes lay it all on the line every night or it could be the end of their season. It is not best of 7 and there is no BCS just putting them in a National Championship game. They are not driven by the million dollar paycheck waiting for them after the game (well OK maybe some of them do) but there is a level of competition this tournament brings out in them that is unmatched. And with this level of competition the excitement of watching them compete is a lot of fun.

Finally, it gives me an excuse to procrastinate on all house projects, playing with Emma, and cuddling with my wife. Now many of you probably may wonder why I procrastinate the cuddling with my wife. Well to clear all the confusion, while I'm watching March Madness my wife is pretty much doing anything else. She doesn't doesn't understand how I can sit down and watch all that basketball. I don't know how to explain it but I love college basketball.

Just to give you all a hint, if you ever wonder what I might be doing these next couple weeks, I would suggest you check the TV schedule. If college basketball is on, odds are extremely good I'm laying on the couch enjoying a bowl full of popcorn with a diet coke, every single college basketball game they put on TV.

P.S. So far (as of March 23, 2009) in my fantasy bracket league, I'm in last place. So much for my great basketball I.Q.

No comments:

Post a Comment