March 14, 2009

"Debit card? What's that?"

As technology expands so does the possibilities of things you can do. But some things are just fine the way they are. I write this to share my recent experience with a DTCU bank teller.


Every so often one must reorder checks obviously because you are running out. So instead of doing it online I decided to call my bank to save time. Upon answering the phone I explained to the teller I needed to order some more checks. Upon my request her response to me was, "Did you know a debit card couuld reduce the number of checks you would write?" Now upon hearing this information, the smart ass in me ALMOST said, "What's a debit card? I've been stuck in Antartica for the last 10 years of my life and have never heard of a debit card." Instead I said, "Yes, I have a debit card."

To my surprise, her response was, "Did you know you can use your debit card to pay bills? This would reduce the number of checks you write which would save you some money. Also, you can pay your bills online!"

Now I bet most of you know what I wanted to say. For those of you who can't guess I'll tell you. "WHAT?!?! you can pay bills online? I did NOT know that.What's the internet I have never heard of it? As a matter of fact, what's a computer?" Instead I took a deep breath and explained to her, "Yes I do pay bills online but some bills still require a check. For example, I have to write a check for Minnesota Power and Comfort Systems, because they don't offer online bill pay."

She acknowleged and placed the order for my checks. I thanked her and our conversation was over. Now I can understand her need to try and upsale but did she for one second think I had never heard of a debit card or online bill pay? I mean come on, even my folks who are three times older than me know what a debit card and online bill pay are. (No offense Mom and Dad, I love you!)

Out of courtesy I am letting you know the next time you order checks your bank representative might offer the suggestion of getting a debit card or utilizing online bill pay. Be prepared and be careful not to let the smart ass in you take over.

2 comments:

  1. "Hi, welcome to Wells Fargo." Exactly what the blog reminded me of except at Wells Fargo I get, "I see you use your check card quite often. Has anyone ever told you about our rewards progam?" YES! Several times! It's amazing how many places do not except checks anymore. I still try and use them as much as possible though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although mom and dad know what a debit card and online bill pay are, don't forget the fact that they refuse to use them:)(I love you mom and dad)

    ReplyDelete