May 25, 2009

Fishing

Tis the season for fishing. The fishing season is upon us and many have embarked on the journey to the open waters hoping to catch the big one. Today was my day to try and get that big one on the St. Louis River. I am very lucky my father has a nice boat we can use to get out and enjoy nature. So to make a long story short, during the 5 hours of fishing today I did not get a nibble, a bite or even see a fish at the end of my line. I did however get to witness my wife catch her very first walleye (2.4 lbs). She was very excited. And can you believe she caught this fish within the first 10 minutes of fishing. In the back of my mind I was thinking, "wow this is going to be a fun day." Well unfortunately it was the only fish we saw all day. Despite only one fish in 5 hours it was a wonderful day.
I remember when I was young and I wouldn't last a single hour without complaining to my dad, "Where are all the fish dad?" When I was young I remember thinking, "How can he (my dad) do it? Sit in a boat all day long and not catch anything and be the happiest man alive." Now without any explanation I can honestly say fishing all day long is one of the most fun activities I can do.


So why do I love to fish even when I don't get anything all day long? There is just something about sitting in a boat, enjoying the water, holding a pole and trying my best to get something on the end of my line. I love the challenge and despite not getting a single bite, I would prefer to fish. I don't know how to explain it.

No comments:

Post a Comment